The first Serbia stamps were issued in 1866.
The main philatelic periods of Serbian history:
1901-1920 – Kingdom of Serbia.
1920-1940 – Kingdom of Yugoslavia, (part of).
1941-1945 – WW2 Occupation.
1945-1992 – Socialist Republic of Yugoslavia, (part of).
1992-2003 – Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, (part of).
2003-2006 – State Union of Serbia and Montenegro.
2006-current – Republic of Serbia.
The Kingdom began to issue postage stamps in 1866. In 1920, the ex-Kingdom become a part of Kingdom of Yugoslavia and post office are managed by centralized postal system.
Serbia was occupied during the invasion of Yugoslavia and Greece in April 1941. After the German officials established the Government of National Salvation in 1941 it issued its own stamps until 1944. Initially, Yugoslavian pre-war stamps were simply overprinted in German with the word SERBIEN. Later regular issues were inscribed both Serbien and Србија (Serbia).
In 1944 Serbia become a part of Socialist Republic of Yugoslavia. Fro short period after, 2003-2006, Serbia is a part of the union of Serbia and Montenegro.
And in 2006, Serbia began issuing its own stamps as an independent country.
Catalog Value $800.
According to the Rasic handbook, the wrongly inserted cliche was discovered early and the error was quickly rectified. This is one of only a fee recorded se-tenant strips (illustrated in Rasic on page 177).
The comprehensive catalogs are unknown for us. The most famous catalogs with Serbia section are Scott and Michel (in German).
- Serbian Stamps 1941-1943
- Smeth, Paul de. Les Timbres de La Principauté de Serbie (1866 à 1880). Amiens: Yvert, 1927.
- Walshe, M. O’C. The Obrenovich Stamps of Serbia (1866-1904). London: Published by “Stamp Collecting,” at the Vallancy Press, Ltd., 1929.
- Derocco, E. Istorija poštanskih maraka Srbije = History of the postage stamps of Serbia. 1973.
Fleck, Vladimir. Die Briefmarken von Serbien. Frankfurt am Main: [Arbeitsgemeinschaft Neues Handbuch der Briefmarkenkunde], 1965.
- Rodgers, E. W. The Serbian Stamp of Death. Brantford, Ont.: Canadian Wholesale Supply, 1977.
- Rasic, Mirko R. The Postal History and Postage Stamps of Serbia. New York?: Pub. by The Theodore E. Steinway Memorial Publication Fund, 1979.
- Kardosch, Velizar M. The Principality of Serbia: postal history and postage stamps, 1830-1882. Romanshorn: V.M. Kardosch, 1996 ISBN 395-210-831-6.
Where to Buy
- Serbia Stamp Section of ThePhilately
- eBay.com (Forgeries are present!)