Odense, the 3rd largest provincial town in Denmark is centrally situated in Fun (Funen) 137km (85 miles) from Copenhagen; with a harbour on the Odense River, important commercially and industrially. The town dates back to healthier times; the first historical mention is about A.D. 1000; today, known the world over as the birthplace of the great poet and writer of fairy tales, Hans Christian Andersen, whose home still exists as a museum. The population in 1880 was 20,804.
This Local Post was established on 1 February 1884 by L. Rasmussen. It was closed on 2 June 1891.
The Post offered the public a great diversity of service. According to a newspaper advertisement at the time, it accepted mail for delivery and provided a public telephone station in its office; it was prepared to run shopping errands, deliver parcels, goods and luggage, telephone messages and telegrams, attend to customs clearances, hire out messengers and hand vehicles.
Seeing that a “post-opkrævningskort” (trade charge card) was not issued it would seem that the Post did not offer to act as collecting agent for trade and commercial concerns in C.O.D. transactions.
The feature of stamp Nos.6-12 is the Arms of Odense. The edifice therein will be the Gothic St. Knud’s Cathedral founded in the 11th Century.
Postal and Stationery
Most limited in output. Only one item, a Postcard, was issued.
Printing and Paper
Lithography in sheets of 100 for all small-sized issues. Unwatermarked.
During the whole of its existence, the Bypost used a two-rings canceller, outer diameter 29mm with text between the rings “Ofdense Bypost” above and Delivery Number below with the date in the centre. The colour of the postmark was violet. “Omb” in the postmark stands for “Ombæringsnummer” which means “Delivery Number”.
1 February 1884.
No.1. Perf.12½ and Perf.11¼
1 February 1884.
No.3. Perf.12½ and Perf.11¼