Situated on the Limfjord, North Jutland. An old city founded in 1342. The 3rd largest city in Denmark, lively modern-styled, with large industrial and commercial undertakings. Distant 365km (227 miles) from Copenhagen, 111km (69 miles) from Aarhus. Population in 1880 was 14,152.
The Bypost was opened by C.J. Als on 23 February 1884. The first issue of stamps and some later ones show “Aalborg Bypost”, others “Aalborg Bypost Pakke Expedition”.
The Post provided a telephone exchange and not only accepted letters, parcels and goods for delivery but handled luggage to and from the Railway Station. It also undertook collection of amounts payable in “Cash on Delivery” (C.O.D.) transactions and in this connection, as did some other Danish Local Posts, issued a special card, the Post-opkraev-ningslort (Trade Charge Card or, more appropriately, C.O.D. card).
The letter boxes of the Post were yellow and were cleared five times daily with distribution of mail in the same hours as the boxed were cleared.
The rates were:
Ordinary letters: 3 ore; Invoices 2 ore
Express (Special Delivery) letters: 50 ore
Reply Paid Express Letters: 10 ore
All types of parcels, luggage, etc.:
1-15lbs, 10 ore; 15-50lbs, 25 ore
50-100lbs, 35 ore; 100-200lbs, 50 ore
Larger weights by aggreement.
The proprietor, C.J. Als, died sometime in 1890 and the business was apparently carried on by his widow until 1896 when it ceased operations.
The three towers appearing in all stamps except the original issue of 1884 were part of the Arms of Aalborg.
Lithography. Sheets of 2×100 or 4×50 depending on size of stamps.
All stamps were perforated 11 and 1/2.
This comprised only 2 postcards and a C.O.D. card.
(1). Double line circle, diametre 21mm with text inside following the rings “Aalborg” at top and at bottom “By-og Pakkepost”. In the centre a large rosette and at the sides small ones.
(2). “Garter” cancellation, outside diametre 21mm. INscription at top inside the rings “Aalborg Bypost” and in the centre the proprietor’s initials “C.J.A.”.
The colour of the postmarks was generally violet, seldom blue and more rarely black.
All stamps perf 11 and 1/2. 23 February 1884.
Greyish paper (blue).
White paper (carmine).
10 November 1885.
Green and Red.
Emerald-green and Red.